Sunday, August 15, 2010

Work Crew

Typically, it is my experience that work crew kids and work crew bosses don't keep in touch. I fully understand why this plays out but at some level I am sad that this is such a reality. This summer I decided that I wanted to break the mold. There are 4 terrific boys who I had the opportunity to live with and serve alongside for an entire month and they all just happen to live in CO. My vision was a once monthly hang out/bible study. Today was our first day.

I told three of them to meet at my house, around noon, before I drove us all to Boulder to meet at the last guy's house. The first guy, Luke, showed up promptly at 5 after 12. At this point I remembered that high schoolers are usually late and aren't the best at communicating their tardiness. Joel was next to show up at 12:25 leaving Will as the most late. Once 12:30 rolled around and after a few unanswered phone calls I assumed Will was not going to be joining us. I got conformation from Tyler when he called to get a status update from our end. I told him we were just waiting on Will and asked if he had talked to him. His response was "Yeah, he is on a college visit. He texted me last night, I thought you knew." Funny.

The afternoon could not have gone any better! After an hour or so of swapping stories of life post Castaway we settled in to our discussion of James. An honest and inspiring conversation about how James fits into our lives lasted the next 2 hours. I was taken aback at how the Lord has used these 3 boys and I am waiting in anticipation to see what He has in store for them this year!

We finished our time together with a trip to Chipotle (obvi) and some shenanigans. I have not laughed this hard in a long time. This was mostly due to Luke's failed attempt at a back flip on the tramp, Joel's epic falls off the slack line, and Tyler's drooling laughter from his wired shut mouth.

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment