Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hiking

A few weeks ago, I was asked by my friend, Derek, to go hike some 14ers with him and our friend, Ken. I instantly declined because I am what some people call an "indoor boy." After some convincing, I agreed to attend the mountain hiking. Derek convinced me with pictures of small children and people with disabilities at the summit.

This so called "easy" hike included not just one 14er but two. Grays and Torreys. My alarm went off at 5:35am and I was off to pick up Pat before heading to Derek's place by 6:15. Way too early! We arrived at the trail head around 7:45 and it took us right around 3 hours to reach the first summit. Proof:
I was feeling a little sore at this point and was considering not attempting to summit the next peak. My friends are great and they were like good leaders at one of the Colorado camps: gently encouraging me and not letting me say no. That and a little something most like to call the silver bullet were my motivation for the next summit:
When we made it back to Aurora, Pat and I ate some well earned Chipotle and went to the hot tub at his health club. I will sleep very well tonight.

2 comments: