Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Birthdays

Honestly, I think they are overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I love presents and loved ones telling me happy birthday and letting me know they appreciate who I am but I think it stops there.

I could do without presents and ideally we would live in a world where people openly tell each other that they are great and that they are appreciated for who they are and not what they've done. A birthday, in a lot of ways, is treated like some sort of accomplishment that needs to be rewarded and the next day emotions are swept back under the rug to be pulled out at the next holiday. I am by no means an openly sentimental person and I see it as a character flaw. How can I try to be so loving but forget to express that through words? (Putting it on my list of things to work on).

My perfect birthday would be all my friends hanging out, drinking some beers, laughing, and having amazing conversation. Maybe I will plan this for next year...

This year wasn't bad at all. Went to breakfast with my mom, hung out with Colin and Quinn then went to the Rockies game with Lisa, her boyf, her parents, and Pat. I touched a foul ball but it hit one finger and bounced away from me. Just a really good time.

The other strange thing about birthdays is that you have a free ticket to eat as much as you damn well please. All I did today was go out for food and drink beer. This is not too out of the norm for me personally but I have witnessed unusual eating patterns from people celebrating their birthday.

**After reading this through (sorry for the stream of consciousness), I want to make it clear that this is not some sort of depressed passive ploy to try and manipulate people into telling me that I am great. I feel incredibly loved by the people I choose to surround(metaphor) myself with and could not ask for better friends. I'm simply commenting on how our culture treats birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment