Monday, September 6, 2010

Larry Edward Brinck

Today is my dad's birthday. Unlike my mom, I don't have hilarious and embarrassing stories of his recent antics. But I will write what I know about him.

Growing up my dad and I had a very limited relationship (OK, we still do but we're working on it). He is a very strict person with a reserved love and an emotionless attitude. He set the tone for the depth of our conversations which still tend to be right under the surface. There were times when I resented him as a father because I wasn't sure if he really loved me or if I was a burden. Caring, inviting, loving, and sensitive are words I don't think I will ever use to describe him but I have come to know that he will always be a provider who deeply loves his family (even though you have to look really hard to see it) and will fight for them.

I will never forget graduating and hearing him tell me that he was proud of me (the only time I can remember). I am tearing up just thinking about it because my dad might not be tender and hasn't said it verbally but he loves me.

Larry Brinck is not be the perfect father but there are so many qualities in him that I want if I am ever to become a dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment