Saturday, October 2, 2010

Uncle Peter

My uncle Peter is quite the character. He is my mom's brother (making him Jewish) and there really isn't a way to say it nicely, he is flat out obnoxious. For sure the crazy uncle that everyone loves. Anyway, he called my mom to tell her he was in town yesterday and we all met up for lunch. I was a little apprehensive because of my new job in a Christian ministry; how do I be bold in who I am and what I do without offending anyone? After some chit chat Peter told me that when he was in high school he was involved with Young Life. What?!?! My crazy Jewish uncle a part of YL at George Washington back in the 70's?!?! Seeing my confusion he went on to explain the extent of his involvement: he went to a YL hosted dating game night and was selected to be one of the three guys being asked questions. He ended up being picked and won the date. He also told me he attended club a few times. In his own words he said "I gave those guys hell. And not because I was Jewish; it was just my personality" Hilarious and probably so true.

I love that YL has been reaching out to kids for so long and that my family was impacted by it before my parents had even met. I know that my uncle is not a Christian but a YL memory has stuck with him for 40 years. That is awesome! I hope that in 40+ years someone will talk about a crazy game/event that they experienced at YL.

No comments:

Post a Comment