Friday, February 10, 2012

Area Director School


6 days after I got home from Europe, I left for Area Director School in St. Augustine, Florida.

It was class inside a hotel for 8ish hours a day for like 8 days. Surprisingly, I loved it! It was full of good practical job training. The other bonus was that all training (New Staff, Winter, & ADS) held in the same hotel! I got to see so many friends that I rarely get to see and met some new ones. This also lead to some awkward interactions.

YL Assignment + Facebook + Time = Awkward

Level 1: "Hey! How are you? Where are you on staff? Cool, we should eat a meal together and catch up" This is clearly the least of the awkward. You both remember each other and the conversation is generally pleasant.


Level 2: "Hey! How are you? Remember, we did ________ together at __________! Where are you on staff? Cool, we should eat a meal together and catch up!" I have this conversation a lot. More often than not, I am the one who has the confused look on his face forcing the other person to explain how they know me. It's always awkward and I usually find out later that we are facebook friends.

Level 3: Awkward eye contact. "Hey, you look familiar. I think I know you. Have you ever been to ______? Do you know _______? Oh, we were at ________ together!" This level isn't so bad because neither party feels obligated to try and extend the conversation past placing each other.

Level 4: Awkward eye contact mixed with trying to avoid eye contact. You both know each other but neither can place the other nor are either willing to enter into a conversation about it. This surprisingly happens a lot to me and generally results in :

Level 5: Everything about level 4 but then you later find out you are facebook friends.


Anyway, my favorite part of ADS was our free day where a few of us trekked to the beach. It was so good! I literally was yelling that the entire time we were there playing in the water!

Everyone was surprised that I jumped the highest. I told them how in college people described me as "surprisingly athletic." They (especially Brit) thought it was hilarious and referred to me as such the rest of the day. Jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment